St James's Chapel near Lewes, Sussex

St James's Chapel near Lewes, Sussex



Paul Sandby, R.A. (1731-1809)
St James's Chapel near Lewes, Sussex

Inscribed lower right:
St. James Chapel near Lewes and inscribed verso: St James' Chapel near Lywes
Pen and grey ink and watercolour over pencil on laid Whatman paper
26.6 by 39.7 cm., 10 ½ by 15 ½ in.

St James's Chapel on the edge of Lewes was originally part of the Hospital of St James founded by William de Warenne, the second Earl of Surrey (d.1138), as a hospital for 24 elderly or infirm brothers and sisters and for pilgrims and the sick. It was maintained by Lewes Priory and survived the dissolution, although the hospital fell into disuse and decay. Only part of the chancel of the chapel remails today. The present watercolour shows the chapel as it was in the 18
th Century when it was converted into a house. It was later used as a school building.