Page's Farm, Easton Park, Essex

Page's Farm, Easton Park, Essex



Paul Sandby, R.A. (1731-1809)
Page's Farm, Easton Park, Essex

Watercolour and bodycolour over pencil
200 x 274 mm.,7 ¾ x 10 ¾ in.

Sandby is often described as `the Father of English watercolour painting' as he was probably the first British artist in the eighteenth century to work commercially in the medium. He was the subject of an exhibition at the Royal Academy, London in 2009 entitled Paul Sandby - Picturing Britain. This is one of two pictures of this size exhibited by Sandby at the British Institution in 1808 entitled `Part of Page's Farm, near Easton Park, Essex' (no.271) or `Page's Farm, Easton Park, Essex, from the West.' Views of the Keeper's Lodge, Easton Park are in the Victoria and Albert Museum (Dyce 746) and the British Museum (1904,0819.23), which also has a `design for a window blind, Easton Park', dated 1809.

The manor and estates of Little Easton, later Easton Park, were granted to Henry Maynard, Lord Burleigh's private secretary in 1590. He was knighted in 1603. The house, Easton |Park, was built in 1597 and burnt down in 1847 when it was rebuilt by Hopper. At the date of the present work, Easton Lodge was in the possession of Charles, Viscount Maynard (1752-1824) who inherited the peerage in 1775 and succeeded his father as 5
th Baronet in 1792. He married but had no children so the estate was inherited by his nephew.

The house later achieved notoriety as the home of Daisy Maynard who married Francis Greville, later Earl of Warwick, in 1881. She was famous as a socialite who had several affairs with powerful men including Edward VII and was the inspiration for the music hall song `Daisy Daisy'. On the death of Edward VII, she tried to blackmail his son, the new king George V with letters written by his father but she was outmanoeuvred by Lord Staffordham and died virtually penniless.

Although her main residence was Warwick Castle, she retained Easton Lodge and created lavish gardens and a private zoo at the house. Much of the Estate was sold off in the 1890s and again in 1919 and 1920. 1500 acres of woodland and farmland remained in the Maynard family until it was sold to Land Securities plc in 2004.

London, British Institution, 1808, no 271 or 287