On the Thames at Staines

On the Thames at Staines



Thomas Miles Richardson, R.W.S. (1813-1890)
On the Thames at Staines

Inscribed lower left: Staines -/1842
Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour on buff paper

With Thos Agnew & Sons, Manchester, 1891

The son of his namesake, Richardson Junior trained under his father before moving to London in 1846. He travelled widely in Scotland and the north of England and later in the Swiss and Italian Alps, producing large scale works. This is one his earlier works.

This is a view along the towpath at Staines from the Middlesex side of the river. Staines Bridge can be seen in the distance. The bridge with three arches in white granite was designed by George Rennie. Construction started in 1827, and it was opened in 1832.

The white stone pinnacles of St. Mary's Church are also visible to the right of the bridge. A stone tablet on the church tower's south face ascribes the design of the tower to Inigo Jones in 1631. However, after the Second World War, these stone pinnacles were removed as unsafe, possibly due to a bomb falling in the Wraysbury Road during the war.

The present view of this stretch of river would now take in the Staines railway bridge which was built in 1856 almost directly where Richardson would have been sitting.


Height 26.2 cm / 10 12"
Width 36.9 cm / 1' 2 "