Naworth Castle

Naworth Castle


Anthony Vandyke Copley Fielding (1787-1855)
Naworth Castle, Cumberland

Signed lower right: Copley Fielding 1855
Watercolour heightened with bodycolour, stopping out, scratching out and gum arabic
30.4 by 40.8cm., 12 by 16in.

John Hick, 1860s;
Private Collection, Sussex

Manchester, Exhibition of Art Treasures, May 1857, no.10;
International Exhibition, 1862, no.63;
National Exhibition of Works of Art, 1868, no.16

Naworth Castle is two miles north-east of Brampton in Cumbria. The castle was originally built by the Dacre family in the thirteenth century and passed into the hands of the Howard family of Castle Howard, through marriage, in the 1560s. Charles Howard was ennobled by Charles II on the restoration of the monarchy in 1660 as the Earl of Carlisle. He amassed an enormous fortune as governor of Jamaica which enabled his grandson, the third Earl, to build Castle Howard. Castle Howard became the main residence of the Earls of Carlisle and in 1844 a fire destroyed most of Naworth Castle. Reconstruction began in the 1850s and this watercolour shows it in its restored state in 1855. George James Howard, the 9
th Earl (1843-1911), an amateur artist and patron of the Arts, lived at Naworth and entertained many important artistic figures of the period.