Landguard Fort near Harwich, Suffolk

Landguard Fort near Harwich, Suffolk


John Cleveley the Younger (1747-1786)
Landguard Fort near Harwich, Suffolk

Signed lower left: Jno Cleveley
Pen and grey ink and watercolour
24 by 33.4 cm., 9 1/2 by 13 in.

With Thos Agnew & Sons, London (stock no. 46205)

Landguard Fort situated at the mouth of the River Orwell, defends the approach to Harwich Harbour. It was the site of the last opposed seaborne invasion of England, by the Dutch in 1667. The current fort was built in the 18th century and altered during the 19th century, with further additions to the batteries during the 19th and 20th centuries. It was manned through both World Wars, playing a crucial role in anti-aircraft defense. It was subsequently converted into a Cold War control room but in 1956, it was disarmed and the fort closed. The Suffolk coast and the busy port of Harwich proved popular with maritime artists such as Cleveley.

Deptford born Cleveley was taught by his father, also John, and by Paul Sandby (see cats.18, 19), who was at the time Chief Drawing Master at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. Cleveley travelled extensively, not only around England but in 1772, he accompanied Sir Joseph Banks, as his draughtsman, on his journey to the Hebrides, Orkneys and Iceland. Two years later, he accompanied Captain Phipp's expedition to the North Seas.