Chesil St, Winchester

Chesil St, Winchester



George Frederick Prosser (1805-1882)
Chesil Street, Winchester

Signed lower left: G F E Prosser/1881/Cheesehill St. WINTON
Watercolour over pencil heightened with touches of bodycolour
17 by 27.3 cm., 6 ½ by 10 ¾ in.

This is a view looking west from the junction of Chesil St., Bar End Road, Wharf Hill and East Hill. At the bottom of Wharf Hill is the Old Dog and Duck pub which remained in business until 1922 and in 1934 the building was demolished. Beyond is the tower of Winchester College chapel beyond. The Black Boy pub, which still exists, is visible to the left with the King's Arms pub, which closed in 2007 and is now a restaurant, to the right. A view from almost the same spot by Prosser, dated 1840, is in Winchester Museum.

Prosser was born in London and worked in Surrey before moving to Winchester in the early 1850s. He lived and worked at 80 High Street, Winchester where he also taught drawing.