• Moulton Church from the South-West, Lincolnshire -
    Price on request

    Signed on border lower right: WBurgefs Delin. Dec.r 28 1797, lower left: Sketch’d on the Spot by W. Burgefs and inscribed verso: Moulton Church/SW

    Pen and grey ink and wash

    Sheet 21 by 32.5 cm., 8 ¼ by 12 ¾ inches

     

    Engraved:

    By W. and H. Burgess for Twelve views of Churches in Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire, 1800-1805

     

    William Burgess was a conventional eighteenth century topographical artist working in pen and ink and wash and also produced portraits in crayon. His father Thomas Burgess (c.1730-1791) was a portrait painter and his sons Thomas, John Cart and Henry William were all artists. He ran a drawing academy in Maiden Lane, London. The present drawings were both executed in December 1797 and subsequently engraved for a publication on Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire churches.

     

    Moulton sits in the Fens in Lincolnshire, five miles east of Spalding. All Saints’ Church, Moulton was built in the late 12th century and in the 1860s. Because of its tall steeple it is sometimes known as `The Queen of the Fens.’

  • Spalding Church from the South-West, Lincolnshire -
    Price on request

    Signed on border lower right: Drawn by WBurgefs. Dec.r 21st 1797. Finish’d and lower left: Sketch’d on the Spot by Wm & H. Burgefs, Oct 4th 1797 and inscribed verso: Spalding Church/SW

    Pen and grey ink and wash

    Sheet 21 by 32.4 cm., 8 ¼ by 12 ¾ inches

     

    Engraved:

    By W. and H. Burgess for Twelve views of Churches in Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire, 1800-1805

     

    William Burgess was a conventional eighteenth century topographical artist working in pen and ink and wash and also produced portraits in crayon. His father Thomas Burgess (c.1730-1791) was a portrait painter and his sons Thomas, John Cart and Henry William were all artists. He ran a drawing academy in Maiden Lane, London. The present drawings were both executed in December 1797 and subsequently engraved for a publication on Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire churches.

     

    Spalding stands on the river Welland in the Fens of South Lincolnshire. The foundations of the Church of St Mary and St Nicholas, Spalding, were laid in 1284. The tower was built in 1360.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading