• View of the Pantheon, Stourhead Gardens, Wiltshire -
    Price on request

    Signed lower right: P.S. Munn 1817 and inscribed on old label attached to the backboard: View of the Pantheon etc., Stourhead Gardens, Wilts/the seat of Sir Richard Colt Hoare. Bart./by Paul Sandby Munn. 1817./From a sketch by Philip Crocker/Engraved by R. Havell & Son. Published 1st September 1817 by/R. Havell, 3 Chapel Street. Tottenham Court Road.

    Watercolour over traces of pencil

    20.4 by 29.4 cm, 8 by 11 ½ inches

     

    Provenance:

    A.N. Gilbey, his sale, Christie’s, 3rd December 1920, bt. Palser for £6-8-0;

    With J. Palser and Sons, King St, London;

    Private collection, UK

     

    Engraved:

    By Robert Havell & Sons, London and published 1st September 1817

     

    The inscription on the old label suggests that this is based on a sketch by Philip Crocker who is recorded as the `Head Steward’ at Stourhead in the early nineteenth century.

     

    Stourhead House and Gardens belonged to the Hoare family from 1717 until they were given to the National Trust in 1947. In 1817, the date of the present work, it belonged to Sir Richard Colt Hoare (1758-1838) the antiquarian and amateur artist. The house was built by Colen Campbell between 1721 and 1725 with the temples mainly added to the grounds by Henry Hoare between the 1740s and the 1760s. The Pantheon was designed by Henry Flitcroft and work began on it in 1753.

  • Penton Rocks near Longtown, Cumberland -
    Sold

    signed lower left and dated 1805 and inscribed with title verso
    watercolour over pencil
    23 by 35cm., 9 by 13 3/4 inches

    Munn exhibited three Lake District views at the Royal Academy n 1805 and another Lake District view, `Derwent Water from Lodore', dated 1805, of a similar size and also inscribed verso, was sold at Christie's on 8th June 1999, lot 161
  • A Coal shaft on Lincoln Hill near Coalbrookdale, Shropshire -
    Sold

    signed with initials lower right and inscribed: On Lincoln Hill Coalbrookdale and dated July 1802
    grey and blue wash over pencil
    15.6 by 24.7cm., 6 by 9 3/4 inches

    This is a fascinating view taken at Coalbrookdale in the Severn Valley which was one of the key centres of industrial activity in the early nineteenth century. Iron was produced on an enormous scale in a three mile area of the Severn valley between Coalbrookdale and Coalport, and the area attracted large numbers of visitors including engineers, tourists and artists. One such visitor was the Frenchman Philippe Jacques de Loutherbourg (1740-1812) who painted his famous `Coalbrookdale by Night' (now Science Museum) in 1801. 

    This drawing dates from Munn's tour of North Wales in the summer of 1802 in the company of John Sell Cotman (1782-1842) who was his tenant at the time in his Bond Street property. They left London in early July, reached Bridgnorth on the 8th continuing to Wenlock where both artists drew the priory. They continued to Broseley and then Ironbridge and Coalbrookdale. Cotman's version of the same subject titled `The Brick Kiln' is in Leeds City Art Gallery. Munn's `Bedlam Furnace, Madeley Dale', exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1803, is now in the Tate Gallery

    Provenance:
    Sydney Kitson

    Literature:
    S.D. Kitson, The Life of John Sell Cotman, 1937, ill.opposite p.31
  • Winchelsea Priory, Sussex -
    Sold

    signed lower left and dated 1823 and signed, dated and inscribed with title on reserve of original washline mount
    brown washes over pencil
    17.9 by 23.5cm., 7 by 9 1/4 inches

    Pevsner called the remains of the monastic church at Winchelsea one of the most impressive Franciscan remains in England.  The monastery was dissolved in 1538 and most of the remains were removed for use in Camber Castle with only the priory church remaining
  • A Cottage in the Lake District -
    Sold

    Signed lower right: P.S. Munn delt. 1798

    Watercolour over pencil

    26.7 by 39.3 cm., 10 ? by 15 ? inches

     

    Provenance:

    Anonymous sale, Sotheby?s 10th October 1974, lot 47

     

    This is an early work by Munn and is likely to be one of his first exhibits at the Royal Academy in 1799. It has been suggested that this is ?A Cottage, the Grange, Barrodale, Cumberland? which he exhibited that year as no.984, in which case the hill to the left is Causey Pike. His two other Royal Academy exhibits of 1799 were ?A Cottage in Westmorland? (no.420), and ?a Cottage at Kirkeydale, between Keswick and Buttermere? (no.977)

     

  • Near Furness, Cumberland -
    Sold

    signed lower left and dated 1823 and signed, dated and inscribed with title on reverse of original

    washline mount

    brown washes over pencil

    17.6 by 24.8cm., 7 by 9 3/4 inches

  • A Coal shaft on Lincoln Hill near Coalbrookdale, Shropshire -
    Sold

    watercolour over pencil

    26.8 by 37.3cm., 10 1/2 by 14 1/4 inches

     

    This is a fascinating view taken at Coalbrookdale in the Severn Valley which was one of the key centres of industrial activity in the early nineteenth century. Iron was produced on an enormous scale in a three mile area of the Severn valley between Coalbrookdale and Coalport, and the area attracted large numbers of visitors including engineers, tourists and artists. One such visitor was the Frenchman Philippe Jacques de Loutherbourg (1740-1812) who painted his famous `Coalbrookdale by Night? (Science Museum) in 1801. The dramatist and musician Charles Dibdin (1745-1814) wrote after his visit to the area:

     

     `?.. if an atheist who never heard of Coalbrookdale, could be transported there in a dream, and left to awake at the mouth of one of those furnaces, surrounded on all sides by such a number of infernal objects, though he had been all his life the most profligate unbeliever that ever added blasphemy to incredulity, he would infallibly tremble at the last judgement that in imagination would appear to him.?

     

    This drawing dates from Munn?s tour of NorthWales in the summer of 1802 in the company of John Sell Cotman (1782-1842) who was his tenant at the time in his Bond Street property. They left London in early July, reached Bridgnorth on the 8th continuing to Wenlock where both artists drew the priory. They went on to Broseley and then Ironbridge and Coalbrookdale. Cotman?s version of the same subject titled `The Brick Kiln? is in Leeds City Art Gallery. Munn?s `Bedlam Furnace, Madeley Dale? was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1803 and is now in the Tate Gallery. A view of the same coal shaft on Lincoln Hill by Munn, dated July 1802, but seen from the other side, was with Guy Peppiatt Fine Art in 2007 (see 18th and 19th Century Drawings and Watercolours 2007, no. 36)

  • A Farmhouse at Coniston, Cumberland -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: P.S. Munn 1813and inscribed verso: At Coniston/Lancashire

    Brown washes over pencil with original mount

    22.6 by 36.3cm, 8 ?  by 14 ?  inches

     

    Provenance:

    Private collection, UK

  • The Bridge at Ambleside, Cumberland -
    Sold

    Signed lower right: P.S. Munn 1811 and inscribed on reverse of original mount: At Ambleside/West.d

    Watercolour over pencil

    28.1 by 21.6 cm., 11 by 8 1/2 inches

     

    Provenance:

    With the Manning Gallery, London;

    Dr H.J. Hoyland, Painswick

     

    Munn exhibited four views of Ambleside at the Society of Painters in Water-colours between 1810 and 1812.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading