•  Craigleith Quarry,  Edinburgh -
    Price on request

    Inscribed lower centre: Craig Leith Quarry (n.r Edinburgh)), signed and dated Aug:st 6th 1823 lower right and numbered 110  upper left

    Pen and grey ink and grey wash over pencil

    27 x 37.7 cm., 10 ? x 14 ? inches

     

    Craigleith Quarry was the largest and best known of Edinburgh?s quarries and provided most of the stone for Edinburgh New Town. It was in use for over three hundred years and the face of the quarry was eventually 360 feet high. Its stone was used on Edinburgh buildings such as Register House, the entrance to Adam?s Edinburgh University Old College and the National Monument on Calton Hill. It was first recorded in 1615 and was eventually closed in 1942 after which it was slowly filled in, although 100 tons of loose stone was removed in 1995 for use in the making of the Chinese Garden in Edinburgh?s Botanic Gardens. What is left of the quarry is now part of the Criaigleith Retail Park opened in 1993.

  • Trinity Chain Bridge on the River Forth, Newhaven, Edinburgh -
    Sold

    Inscribed with title lower centre, signed and dated 6th August 1823 lower right and numbered 109 upper left
    Pen and brown ink and grey wash over pencil
    16.8 by 33.3cm., 6 by 13 inches

    This shows the Trinity Chain Pier at Newhaven shortly after it was built by Sir Samuel Brown (1774-1851) in 1821. It was destroyed in a storm in 1898. The village of Newhaven is beyond the bridge and the island of Inchkeith is visible in the Firth of Forth.

    The artist was the daughter of Sir Richard Hoare, 1st Bt and brother of Sir Richard Colt Hoare. She married firstly Sir T.D. Acland, 9th Bt. And secondly in 1795, Captain the Hon. Mathew Fortescue, R.N., brother of the first Earl Fortescue. She was an enthusiastic and talented amateur artist who painted in Italy, the Pyrenees, Scotland and the Lake District and supplied continental views for her friend and teacher Francis Nicholson to copy.
  • Edinburgh Castle from Calton Hill -
    Sold

    Inscribed lower centre: Edinburgh Castle., signed and dated Aug:t 5th 1823 lower right and numbered 107 upper left

    Pen and grey ink and grey wash over pencil

    23.8 x 37.7 cm., 9 ? x 14 ? inches

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading