• Llandegai Church and Bridge, Carnarvonshire, North Wales -
    Sold

    Inscribed verso: Llandegai Church & Bridge
    Pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil on laid paper
    22.8 by 29.8cm., 9 by 11 inches

    Llandegai lies 1 miles south-east of Bangor. In the far right distance Penrhyn Castle is just visible in the trees. At this date it was still a medieval manor house before being transformed into a 19th century neo-Norman fantasy castle by the architect Thomas Hopper in 1827 by another member of the Pennant family, George Dawkins Pennant.
  • Llanidan Church, Anglesey -
    Sold

    signed with initials lower centre, dated 1806 and inscribed with title

    watercolour over pencil

    15.4 by 27.3cm., 6 by 10 3/4 inches

     

    Llanidan is a parish sitting on the banks of the Menai Straits in south-east Anglesey which includes the village of Brynsiencyn. This shows old Llanidan church dedicated to St Aidan, a seventh century bishop.

  • The Wrekin, Shropshire -
    Sold

    Signed on border lower left: Moses Griffith delin/t and numbered 67 in pencil

    Pen and brown ink and watercolour heightened with touches of bodycolour on laid paper with original pen and ink border

    20.9 by 32.1cm., 8 1/4 by 12 1/2 inches

     

    The Wrekin is a hill in east Shropshire, four miles west of Telford. It rises to a height of 1335 feet and is visible for miles around. On its summit is an Iron Age fort

     

    Provenance:

    Thomas Pennant (1726-1798);

    By descent to his granddaughter who married the 17th Earl of Denbigh;

    Viscount Feilding, his sale, Christie?s, 5th June 1938;

    With Walker Galleries, London, 1939;

    Iolo Williams;

    With Andrew Clayton-Payne;

    Private Collection until 2008

     

    Exhibited:

    London, Walker Galleries, Exhibition of Watercolour Drawings by Moses Griffith,

    February 1939, no.69

  • The Cromlech at Plas Newydd, Anglesey -
    Sold

    Inscribed verso: cromleh at Plaisnewydd

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour over pencil on laid paper with pen and ink border

    178 x 275 mm., 7 x 10 in.

     

    Provenance:

    Probably Sir William Forbes, 7th Bt. of Pitsligo;

    By descent in the Forbes family of Pitsligo, Fettercairn House, Kincardineshire, Scotland

     

    The cromlech at Plas Newydd, the home of the Marquesses of Anglesey, sits on the lawn not far from the house. A cromlech is a Neolithic burial tomb.

  • Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire -
    Sold

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading