• Peckwater Quad at Sunset, Christ Church, Oxford -
    Sold

    signed lower right: JM Ince/1836

    watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour and gum arabic

    28.2 by 19.9cm., 11 by 7 3/4 inches

     

    This is a view taken from Canterbury Gate looking west towards Peckwater Quad with Christ Church Library to the left. Peckwater quad which was designed by Henry Aldrich (1648-1710) was built between 1706 and 1714 and Canterbury Gate was erected to JamesWyatt?s design in 1778, replacing the original medieval gate

  • Horse Guards Parade and St James's Park, London -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: J.M. Ince/June 1833 and signed verso: The Horse Guards from the Park/J.M. Ince

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with touches of bodycolour

    19 by 32.7 cm., 7 ½ by 12 ¾ in.

     

    This is a view looking east down the lake in St James’s Park taken from near Buckingham Palace. Near the left bank are visible some pelicans which have been on the lake for over three hundred years and were a gift to Charles II from the Russian ambassador of the time. The park originates from a deer park created by Henry VIII in 1536 but was extensively remodelled into a pleasure park by John Nash in the 1820s. This watercolour predates a bridge across the lake which was built in 1857 and replaced by the current concrete bridge in 1956.

     

    Beyond are the domes and spires of Horse Guards Parade and Whitehall which have been described as `the most astonish and romantic roofscape in London’ (quoted in Weinreb and Hibbert (ed.), The London Encyclopaedia, 1983, p.718).

  • The Radcliffe Camera, St. Mary’s Church and Brasenose College, Oxford -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: J.M. Ince 1833

    Watercolour over traces of pencil heightened with bodycolour

    270 x 200 mm., 10 ½ x 7 ¾ in.

     

    Provenance

    With Thos Agnew & Sons (no.31950)

     

    Ince was born in the Welsh borders and was a pupil of David Cox in Hereford from 1823 until 1826 when he went to London and began to exhibit at the Royal Academy. By 1832 he was living in Cambridge working as an architectural draughtsman but returned to Presteigne in the mid 1830s where he remained for the rest of his life.

  • The Ante-Chapel of King?s College Chapel, Cambridge -
    Sold

    signed lower left: JM Ince 1840

    watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour and gum arabic

    26.8 by 21cm., 10 ? by 8 ? inches

     

    The ante-chapel is part of the main chapel of King?s College but is divided off from the chancel by the choir screen. The construction of the chapel began in 1446 and was finally completed in 1515 ? the ante-chapel was one of the last areas to be completed. Two views by Ince in oil of King?s College Chapel dated 1845, are at Anglesey Abbey.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading