• Near Stapleton, Bristol -
    Price on request

    Inscribed verso: near Stapleton Aug.t 10. 94. 

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour on laid paper

    15.5 by 22.3 cm., 6 by 8 ¾ in.


     

    Provenance:

    By descent from the artist until circa 1995



  • Study of Plants -
    Price on request

    Watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    102. by 17.8 cm., 4 x 7 inches

  • Study of Trees at Canonteign, Devon -
    Price on request

    Inscribed verso: Canonteign July 24. 1809

    Pen and grey and brown ink and grey washes

    26.8 by 37.9 cm., 10 ½ by 14 ¾ inches

     

    Provenance:

    With Thos. Agnew & Sons, London;

    With Heather Newman, where bought by the present owner, 8th November 1996

     

    Sir Edward Pellew, later Viscount Exmouth (1757-1833) bought the estate of Canonteign in the Teign valley, eight miles south-west of Exeter, from the Helyar family in the 1790s. White Abbott and his fellow artist Francis Towne were frequent visitors to its secluded woodland.

  • Roslin Castle, Scotland -
    Price on request

    Inscribed on part of original mount: No.12 Roslin Castle/JWA/June 20 1791

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour

    18.9 by 23.8 cm., 7 ¼ by 9 ¼ in.

     

    Provenance:

    With John Spink, 2005, where bought by the present owner

     

    Literature:

    Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne and his Friends, exhibition catalogue, 2005, no.30, ill.

     

    Exhibited:

    London, Colnaghi, Francis Towne and his Friends, 10th to 25th November 2005, no.30

     

    This drawing dates from White Abbott’s six week tour of north of England and Scotland in the summer of 1791. Most of his drawings from the tour are numbered, with no.1, dated 13th June, of York Minster with no. 80, dated 28th July of Glastonbury. He was in Edinburgh by 19th June then continued north to Stirling and Dunkeld then west to loch Tay, Loch Awe, Loch Fyne and Loch Long. He then continued south to Loch Lomond then on to Glasgow and the south.

     

    Roslin Castle stands on a hill above the North Esk River, six miles south of Edinburgh and was a popular tourist destination. Two other drawings are dated 20th June – `Near Roslin Castle’, numbered 14, no. 31 in Wilcox’s 2005 catalogue (op.cit.)and `Hawthornden’, numbered 24, recorded in the collection of Gilbert Davis. A view of Loch Long, dated 2nd July 1791, was with Guy Peppiatt Fine Art in 2017 (see summer catalogue, no.6).
  • Trees at Fordland, Devon -
    Price on request

    Inscribed lower left: Fordland/Sept.r 28. 1844

    Pen and grey ink and wash

    378 x 263 mm., 14 ¾ x 10 ¼ in.

     

    Fordland was the estate of James White (1745-1825), White Abbott’s uncle and a close friend of Francis Towne. White Abbott inherited the estate on his uncle’s death in 1825.

  • A Woodland Path at Fordland, Devon -
    Sold

    Inscribed lower right: Fordland/Sept. 26. 1825.

    Pen and brown ink and grey wash

    33.5 by 25.3 cm., 13 by 10 inches

     

    Provenance:

    With the Fine Art Society, London, by whom sold in 1972 to the husband of the late owner;

    A Deceased Estate

     

    Fordland was the estate of James White (1745-1825), White Abbott?s uncle and a close friend of Francis Towne who taught White Abbott. White Abbott frequently sketched in its ground and the present drawing dates from the year of James White?s death.

  • The Quarry, Peamore, Devon -
    Sold

    Signed with monogram lower right and dated 1796 and signed on reverse of original mount: In the Quarry at Peamore. JWA. Octr 1796. and inscribed in another hand: given to Elizabeth/March 1 1836

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour on six sheets of laid paper joined

    36.6 by 45.3 cm., 14 ? by 17 ? in.

     

    Provenance:

    John Drew;

    Elizabeth Drew;

    Anonymous sale, Sotheby?s, 22nd November 1979, lot 182;

    With Spinks, London, 1980s;

    Private Collection, UK, until 2011

     

    Peamore Park was a popular sketching ground for both White Abbott and Francis Towne. The Rev. John Swete in his Picturesque Sketches of Devon recording his tour of 1789 wrote: `The chief beauty of Peamore lies in the undulating form of its grounds, rising and falling in the regular alternation of hills and dales ? in its woods, groves and trees ? and in a Quarry, which surrounded by a thicket of high towering Oaks, beech & ash is one of the grandest and most romantic objects in the county.? Peamore lies about five miles south of Exeter and visitors and artists were allowed in its ground. From 1774 until 1795 it was in possession of the Coxe family until on the death of Henry Hippisley Coxe when it was sold to Samuel Kekewich whose family remained there until 1947.

  • View of Bartholomew’s Yard Exeter -
    Sold

    Inscribed verso: ..rtholomew’s Yard. Sep.t 12. 1807

    Pen and grey ink and wash on two sheets of joined paper

    18.7 by 40 cm., 7 ¼ by 15 ¾ inches

     

    Provenance:

    The Ruskin Gallery, Stratford-on-Avon

     

    This is a view of Bartholomew's Yard, one of the Exeter's old cemeteries, north of what was Exe Island and the old Bonhay Road.  The land had originally been given to St Nicholas Priory by William I.  The monks had used the fields to dry the serge cloth from the city's watermills on aqueducts known as leats which can still be seen in this drawing. The cemetery ceased to be a burial ground after the cholera epidemic of 1832, and became a park which still exists today.

  • View of the City Walls, York -
    Sold

    Pen and grey ink and grey washes on laid paper

    22.8 by 30.9 cm., 9 by 12 inches

     

    This shows a view of the site of the Dominican Friary at Toft Green to the south of the city of York. The drawing is presumably an on-the-spot drawing executed on his visit to the city in July 1791. It would appear to be unfinished however as White Abbott has omitted the Minster which stands on the horizon behind the tower. A finished version of this view by White Abbott is one of four York views in York City Art Gallery (see York through the Eyes of the Artist, exhibition catalogue, 1990, p.33, no. 20, illustrated).

     

    The site of the Dominican Friary which was dissolved in the 1530s became a nursery in the possession of the Telford family until 1816 when the land was sold to a Quaker family.

     

    We are grateful to Richard Stephens for his help in cataloguing this watercolour.

  • Distant view of Exeter, Devon -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: JWA/May 1815

    Pen and grey ink and washes

    22.7 by 18.9 cm., 8 ¾ by 7 ¼ in.

     

    Provenance:

    By descent from the artist until circa 1995

  • Study of Trees -
    Sold

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour on two sheets of laid paper joined

    25.8 by 36.7 cm., 10 by 14 ¼ inches

     

    Provenance:

    By descent from the artist until circa 1995

     

    The high quality of the present drawing suggests a date in the 1790s or early 1800s. The use of more than one sheet is typical of White Abbott’s work and this is almost certainly a Devon view.

  • Wooded Landscape at Peamore, Devon -
    Sold

    Inscribed verso: Peamore Sep. 8. 1815.

    Pen and grey ink and washes

    37.9 by 27 cm., 15 by 10 ¾ in.

     

    Peamore Park was a popular sketching ground for both White Abbott and Francis Towne. The Rev. John Swete in his `Picturesque Sketches of Devon’ recording his tour of 1789 wrote: `The chief beauty of Peamore lies in the undulating form of its grounds, rising and falling in the regular alternation of hills and dales – in its woods, groves and trees – and in a Quarry, which surrounded by a thicket of high towering Oaks, beech & ash is one of the grandest and most romantic objects in the county.’ Peamore lies about five miles south of Exeter and visitors and artists were allowed in its ground. From 1774 until 1795 it was in possession of the Coxe family until on the death of Henry Hippisley Coxe when it was sold to Samuel Kekewich whose family remained there until 1947.

  • Herdsmen and Cattle crossing a River -
    Sold

    Dated lower left: June 6. 1831 and numbered 29 and 41 verso

    Pen and grey ink and grey washes

    189 x 302 mm., 7 ¼ x 11 ¾ in.

     

    Provenance:

    With Chris Beetles;

    Private Collection

     

    Exhibited:

    Nunnington Hall, The Watercolour Tradition in Landscape, 23rd April to 30th June 2013

  • Figures in a Wood, Topsham and the River Exe beyond -
    Sold

    Inscribed on reverse of original washline mount: Given to Francis Abbott/March 1, 1832

    Pen and brown ink and watercolour

    705 x 495 mm., 27 ¾ x 19 ½ in.

     

    Provenance:

    Given by the artist to Francis Abbott, 1832;

    By descent in the family of the artist until sold at Sotheby's, 11th November 1993, lot 86, where bought by the present owner

     

    Exhibited:

    Bristol City Art Gallery, John White Abbott, 1946, no.2

  • Chudleigh Rock on the Teign, Devon -
    Sold

    Inscribed verso: Chudleigh Sept. 2. 1799

    Pen and black ink and watercolour

    16.1 by 24.7 cm., 6 ½ by 9 ¾ in.

     

    Provenance:

    By descent from the artist until sold at Sotheby's, 21st March 2002, lot 155

     

    Chudleigh is a town on the river Teign fourteen miles south-west of Exeter. Chudleigh Rock was a popular beauty spot near Ugbrooke Park, the home of the Clifford family. Towne also drew Chudleigh Rock, in 1787. 

  • Loch Long from Hills near Arrochar, Scotland at 5 in the Morning -
    Sold

    Signed verso: On Loch Long from an Hills near Arrochar, at 5 O'Clock in the Morning/JWA. July 2. 1791.

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour on laid paper on original washline mount

    18.8 by 24 cm., 7 ¼ by 9 ½ in.

     

    Provenance:

    By descent from the artist until sold at Sotheby's on 30th June 2005, lot 252, where bought by the present owner

     

    This drawing dates from White Abbott’s six week tour of the north of England and Scotland in the summer of 1791. Most of his drawings from the tour are numbered starting with no. 1, dated 13th June, of York Minster with no.80, dating 28th July of Glastonbury. He was in Edinburgh by 19th June then continued north to Stirling and Dunkeld then west to Loch Tay, Loch Awe, Loch Fyne and Loch Long, the subject of the present drawing, dated 2nd July.

    He then continued south to Loch Lomond to see the Falls of the Clyde, then on to Glasgow and the south. Arrochar is situated at the north end of Loch Long close to Loch Lomond.

     

    Other drawings from the tour are in the Victoria Albert Museum (two views on the Clyde and one of Leith), the National Gallery of Scotland (a view of Edinburgh) and two views of Roslin were with John Spink (see Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne and his Friends, exhibition catalogue, 2005, nos. 30 and 31, ill.).

     

  • Near Canonteign, Devon -
    Sold

    Pen and  grey ink and grey washes on two sheets of joined paper

    26.8 by 37.2 cm., 10 ½  by 14 ¼ in.

     

    Sir Edward Pellew, later Viscount Exmouth (1757-1833) bought the estate of Canonteign in the Teign valley, eight miles south-west of Exeter, from the Helyar family in the 1790s. White Abbott and his fellow artist Francis Towne were frequent visitors to its secluded woodland.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading