• View on the river Avon at Bath -
    Sold

    Watercolour on laid paper with original washline mount

    25.9 by 39.2 cm., 10 ? by 15 ? inches

     

    This is a view looking east down the river Avon with South Parade to the left, built by John Wood (1704-1754) in the 1740s. The steps down from South Parade lead to the ferry station which was the main way to cross the Avon before Pulteney Bridge was built in 1769. On the hill in the distance stands Camden Crescent which formed part of a large building scheme begun in circa 1788 of which only this was completed. There is no sign of Lansdown Crescent which was built higher up the hill in the early 1790s. A view taken from this spot by Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770) is in the Victoria and Albert Museum.

     

    John Sanders Junior was the son of a pastellist and studied at the Royal Academy Schools in 1769 exhibiting from 1771. In 1778 he moved to Norwich and in 1790 to Bath. This is one of a group of six Bath views which he intended to produce in aquatint but they were never commissioned. However three aquatints of Bath after his work were published in 1793, ?The Abbey Church, Bath?, ?High St., Bath? and ?Dr Parry?s Summer Hill?. An oil by him of the Pump Room, Bath is in the Roman Baths Museum.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading