• A Brahminy Village Hut near Madras, India -
    Price on request

    Inscribed in another hand on reverse of original mount: No.12 Brahamany Village Hut/A Drawing - Gantz/Madras 1828

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with touches of bodycolour

    16.8 by 23.4 cm., 6 1/2 by 9 1/4 inches

  • View of St Andrew’s Bridge, Madras -
    Sold

    Signed lower right: J. Gantz 1821.  and inscribed with title, signed and dated on reverse of original mount

    Watercolour over pencil 

    33.4 by 52 cm., 13 by 20 1/2 inches

     

    St Andrew’s Bridge was one of the first to be built in the city of Madras.  Under the administration of the East India Company, it was constructed by Lt. Col. Thomas Fiott de Havilland of the Madras Engineers in 1817.  A comprehensive account of its construction was written by de Havilland in a pamphlet published in 1826, which includes an engraving of this watercolour by Gantz, along with a breakdown of its cost at £8,036.88.  Although the bridge is no longer standing, the nearby St Andrew’s Church also mentioned in de Havilland’s memoir, is still standing and much admired for its architectural design.

    Gantz was employed as a draughtsman and surveyor by the East India Company from 1800 until 1803. He is first recorded in Madras in 1807 and he remained there until his death working as an architect and he also ran a lithographic press. His son Justinian Gantz (1802-1862) was also an artist and specialized in depicting European houses in India. Works by both father and son, including many Madras views, are in the India Office Library collection.

    Engraved:

    By Mr Maxwell for T.F. De Havilland’s ‘Descriptions and Delineations of some of the Public and Other Edifices at and in the vicinity of Madras with other objects near that Presidency’, and published by Parbury, Allen and Co., Leadenhall Street, 1826. 

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading