• The Church of St Mary, Newington, London -
    Price on request

    Inscribed verso: 2. Newington - Surrey.

    Watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    183 x 296 mm., 7 x 11 in.

     

    This shows the rebuilding of the church of St Mary, Newington Butts, from 1791 to 1793. The church was pulled down in 1876 in order to widen Newington Butts and a new church was built nearby on Kennington Park Road. 

  • Windsor Castle from the South-East -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: James Miller/Del

    Pen and grey ink and watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    30.9 by 46.4 cm., 12 by 18 ? inches

     

    Provenance:

    With Spink and Son, London, where bought by the present owner

     

    This view of Windsor Castle shows the South and East fronts of the Upper Ward. They had been remodelled by Hugh May, architect to King Charles II, in the 1670s, who also created the southern and eastern terraces that can also be seen.  May's reconstruction was both sympathetic to the existing castle and a deliberate attempt to create a slightly austere 17th-century version of a "neo-Norman" castle.  Edward III?s Tower can be seen on the far left which May also rebuilt incorporating larger windows but retaining the height and dimensions of the medieval building.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading