• An album of Tree and Landscape studies -
    Sold

    Fifty-one, twenty-two brown wash, twelve pencil, eleven black chalk and six watercolour, two on Whatman Turkey Mill paper dated 1850

     

    Including studies of trees, cottages, landscapes, castles, rocks and yachts Various sizes, bound in an album embossed: STUDIES/BY/J.D. HARDING

     

    This rare intact album of drawings by Harding may have been made as a learning aid for pupils. Two of the sheets are watermarked 1850, the year Harding published ?Lessons on Trees? so they may be studies relating to that publication. John Ruskin admired Harding?s work and described him as `after Turner, unquestionably the greatest master of foliage in Europe? (see John Ruskin, Modern Painters, vol. I, p.382)

     

    Provenance:

    Geoffrey Roberts, King?s Nympton, Devon, 1962

  • Landeck, Austria -
    Sold

     

    Signed lower left: JDHarding/1841

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour

    323 x 208 mm., 11 ½  x 8 in.

     

    Provenance

    Sir Thomas Lucas of 12a Kensington Palace Gardens, his sale, Christie’s, 9th June 1902, lot 170, bt. Vokins for 11 guineas

    William Cooke of North Bank, Muswell Hill, his sale, Christie’s, 8th June 1917, lot 30, bt. Matthews for 18 guineas

     

    Landeck is located in the Tyrolean Oberland in the west of Austria and is capital of the region of the same name. It is situated at 820 metres in the valley of the Inn River. A version of this watercolour was engraved for Harding’s Sketches at Home and Abroad, 1836, p.21.

     

  • Castellammare di Stabia, Italy -
    Sold

    Inscribed and dated: Castelmare/ Novr. 29. 1830

    Pencil on blue paper heightened with gum arabic

    25.7 by 35.9cm., 10 by 14 in.

     

    Harding was born in Deptford, London, the son of the engraver and drawing master John Harding (c.1777-1846). He had lessons from Samuel Prout (see no.61), whose influence is evident in his drawings, and exhibited at the Royal Academy from the age of 13. He was a pioneer in lithography and a successful drawing master. His drawings, often on coloured papers, are his most impressive works influencing the young Ruskin and Edward Lear’s early style is also indebted to Harding’s drawings and lithographs.

     

    He first visited Italy in 1824 and nos. 52 to 54 all date from his Italian tour in late 1830. Castellammare is 19 miles south of Naples on the way to Sorrento. The ninth century castle is visible on the hillside.

     

    This is the preliminary drawing for plate 18 in Jenning’s Landscape Annual of 1832 and Roscoe’s The Tourist in Italy published the same year.

     

     

  • Vico Equense, Italy -
    Sold

    Inscribed: Bridge of Vico Novr 30 /1830

    Pencil on blue paper with watermark Smith and Allnutt 1828

    25.4 by 35.8 cm., 10 by 14 in.

     

    Vico Equense is located on a clifftop between Castellammare di Stabia and Sorrento on the Amalfi coast. The inscription `Bridge of Vico’ refers to the unusual grotto beneath the town.

     

    This is the preliminary drawing for plate 20 in Jenning’s Landscape Annual of 1832 and Roscoe’s The Tourist in Italy published the same year.

  • Sorrento, Italy -
    Sold

    Inscribed upper right: Sorrento/Nov 28./1830

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with white on blue paper

    25.4 by 35.8 cm., 10 by 14 in.

  • Figures on the foreshore, with the Castle of Gutenfels and the Pfalz beyond, Germany -
    Sold

    Inscribed: Caub-/Castle of Gottenfels& Pfalz/30 Auq 1834.

    Watercolour and pencil heightened with white on buff paper

    19.1 by 27.2 cm., 7 ½ by 10 ¾ in.

     

    The minute Pfalz (or Falkenau) Island lies in the middle of the Rhine River near Kaub, Germany. Pfalzgrafenstein Castle, on the island, was one of the many toll castles built for the sole purpose of generating revenue from boats travelling along the river. The Castle of Gutenfels which towers over the landscape, was built in 1220. Along with Pfalzgrafenstein and the fortified town on Kaub on the opposite bank, it formed part of the toll barrier.

     

     This on-the-spot sketch dates from his Rhine tour in the summer of 1834 
  • Plymouth Sound, looking across Drake Island from Mt. Edgcumbe, Plymouth beyond -
    Sold

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour

    22.6 by 33.2 cm., 9 by 13 ¼ in.

     

    Provenance:

    With James King, Liverpool

     

    Engraved:

    By William Finden as a steel engraving for `Ports, Harbours, Watering Places and Coast Scenery of Great Britain', 1842, vol. I, opp. p.133

    Finden describes this view as follows (op. cit.): `The view of Plymouth is taken from the grounds of Mount Edgecumbe, looking across the lower part of the Sound. About the middle distance is St. Nicholas’ Island; beyond which are perceived the ramparts of the citadel. Between the citadel and the point of land to the right, where several small vessels are seen, is the entrance of the creek called the Catwater.’

  • Tiberias and the Sea of Galilee -
    Sold

    black chalk heightened with white on grey paper

    12.7 by 17.8cm., 5 by 7 inches

     

    This is a preliminary sketch for an engraving by Harding based on an on-the-spot sketch by Count Leon de Laborde for Edward Finden?s Landscape illustrations of the Bible, published 1832-35. Turner produced twenty-eight illustrations for the same publication.

     

    Provenance:

    Clarissa Sophia Harding, 1843

  • View of Sorrento, Italy -
    Sold

    pencil, black chalk and watercolour on blue paper

    17.8 by 12.2cm., 7 by 4 3/4 inches

     

    Provenance:

    Clarissa Sophia Harding, 1843

     

    Harding first visited Italy in 1824 and returned there in 1831 and 1834. Sorrento stands on the south-east side of the Bay of Naples.

  • The Falls of the Tummel, Perthshire, Scotland -
    Sold

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour

    360 x 516 mm., 14 x 20 ¼ in.

     

    Exhibited:

    Probably London, Society of Painters in Water-colours, 1841, no.121

  • A Cottage on Hampstead Heath -
    Sold

    With artist's studio stamp lower right and inscribed: Hampstead Fields/march 6th 1857 -

    Black chalk and stump

    24.7 by 35 cm., 9 ¾ by 13 ¾ in.

     

    Provenance:

    Prince Donatus of Hohenzollern

     

    Literature:

    The Heath and Hampstead Society Newsletter, September 2006, vol. 37, no.3

     

    In the mid nineteenth century, Hampstead Heath was significantly smaller than it is today and was confined to the area immediately to the west of Hampstead. Parliament Hill was added in 1888 and the Kenwood Estate in the 1920s. Between 1831 and 1871 local residents fought a long legal battle with Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson, the owner of the heath who wanted to build houses on it. It was finally saved for the nation in 1871.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading