• Dresden from across the Elbe -
    Sold

    inscribed with title lower left and lower right
    grey washes over pencil on laid paper
    watermarked with a coat of arms
    25 by 40.7cm., 9 3/4 by 16 inches

    The artist was in Vienna in 1781 where he was a favourite with the Emperor and the present drawing probably dates from this trip.

    This drawing shows the principal buildings of baroque Dresden - from left to right the domed Frauenkirche (recently reconsecrated after it was destroyed in the Second World War), the Hofkirche and the Zwinger Palace

    Provenance:
    By descent to Sir Henry Swinburne until 1979;
    With Alister Mathews, 1980
Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading