• The approach to St Michael's Church and Chauntry House, Bray, from Maidenhead, Berkshire -
    Price on request

    Signed lower left: Bray/G.F. Prosser 1871 and inscribed with title and dated on part of old mount

    Watercolour over pencil

    176 x 264 mm., 7 x 10 ? in.

     

    St Michael's Church, Bray, strategically located by an ancient crossing on the River Thames near Maidenhead, originally dates to 1293. It was built by Queen Margaret, wife of Edward 1 and being a royal foundation and near Windsor, the church was expensively and elaborately constructed, especially given the size of the population at the time.

     

    Chauntry House, the red brick house to the right of the church, was originally built in 1754, during its long history it has been both private residence and hotel. The cricket pitch, just seen over the fence, beyond the road, is reputedly one of the oldest in the country and has been in continuous use since at least 1774. The first recorded cricketer from Bray was in 1744, when he was selected to play at the Artillery Ground in London, when cricket was first being formulated and six years before the foundation of Hambledon Cricket Club, widely regarded as the cradle of cricket.

     

    Prosser was born in London and worked in Surrey before moving to Winchester in the early 1850s. He lived and worked at 80 High Street, Winchester where he also taught drawing, and specialised in local views.

  • The West Front of Winchester Cathedral -
    Sold

    Watercolour over traces of pencil heightened with bodycolour, stopping out and gum arabic

    401 x 292 mm., 16 x 11 ½ in.

     

    Prosser was born in London and worked in Surrey before moving to Winchester in the early 1850s. He lived and worked at no.80 High Street, Winchester, where he also taught drawing, and specialised in local views.

  • Water Lane, St. Cross, Winchester, with St. Catherine’s Hill beyond -
    Sold

    Inscribed lower left: WATER LANE/St Cross/Winchester

    Watercolour over pencil on wove paper watermarked: J WHATMAN/1855

    26.3 by 38.1 cm., 10 ¼ by 15 in.

     

    Prosser was born in London and worked in Surrey before moving to Winchester in the early 1850s. He lived and worked at 80 High Street, Winchester where he also taught drawing, and specialised in local views. St. Cross is just to the south of Winchester and this is a view looking east towards St Catherine’s Hill. 

  • View of the Solent and the Isle of Wight from near Lymington, Hampshire -
    Sold

    Watercolour over traces of pencil heightened with bodycolour and scratching out

    30.8 by 51 cm., 12 by 20 in.

     

    Provenance:

    With J. Sabin, London, September 1968

     

    This is a view looking south from near Lymington towards the Isle of Wight. To the left of the clump of trees is the town of Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight and to the right is the round tower of Hurst Castle built by Henry VII on a spit of land to defend the Solent. The present watercolour may relate to a series of watercolours by Prosser which were engraved in 1833 for `Select Illustrations of Hampshire.’ 

  • Chesil Street, Winchester -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: G F E Prosser/1881/Cheesehill St. WINTON

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with touches of bodycolour

    17 by 27.3 cm., 6 ½  by 10 ¾  inches

     

    This is a view looking west from the junction of Chesil St., Bar End Road, Wharf Hill and East Hill.  At the bottom of Wharf Hill is the Old Dog and Duck pub which remained in business until 1922 and in 1934 the building was demolished. Beyond is the tower of Winchester College chapel beyond. The Black Boy pub, which still exists, is visible to the left with the King’s Arms pub, which closed in 2007 and is now a restaurant, to the right. A view from almost the same spot by Prosser, dated 1840, is in Winchester Museum.

  • Looking towards Morestead Downs from Chesil St., Winchester -
    Sold

    Signed lower left: Looking to Morested/from Bar End./G.F.E. Prosser/1878

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with touches of bodycolour

    17 by 27.3 cm., 6 ½  by 10 ¾  inches

     

    This is a view looking south down Chesil St, which becomes Bar End Road, towards the village of Morestead up on the Downs.

     

    Prosser was born in London and worked in Surrey before moving to Winchester in the early 1850s. He lived and worked at 80 High Street, Winchester where he also taught drawing.

  • The Colonnades of the Chapter House, Cathedral Close, Winchester -
    Sold

    watercolour over pencil

    23.7 by 32.1cm, 9 1/4 by 11 1/2 inches

     

    The colonnades are all that remains of the eleventh century Chapter House of Winchester Cathedral. Beyond is the facade of No.1, The Close. Prosser lived in Winchester in the1840s and 1850s and produced a number of views of the city.

  • St. Catherine's Hill from the Water Meadows, Winchester -
    Sold

    Watercolour over pencil

    148 x 240 mm., 5 ¾ x 9 ½ in.

     

    Prosser was born in London and worked in Surrey before moving to Winchester in the early 1850s. He lived and worked at 80 High Street, Winchester where he also taught drawing, and specialised in local views.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading