• A Fishmarket on the Beach near Newhaven, Sussex -
    Sold

    Watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour

    21.6 by 31.7 cm., 8 ½ by 12 ½ in.

     

    Provenance:

    With Thos. Agnew & Sons, London (47207);

    Arthur A. Houghton, Queenstown, Maryland (1906-1990)

     

    Newhaven is a port on the south coast of England at the mouth of the river Ouse. The buildings visible in the present watercolour appear to be the Tide Mill and village built by the Duke of Newcastle in 1761 and later owned and operated by the Catt family. The Tide Mill used the power of the tide to produce grain and flour. Production stopped in the late 19th century and the village was abandoned in 1939 with only the ruins visible today.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading