• St Mary’s Church, Clonmel, Ireland   -
    Price on request

    Watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    17.5 by 22.7 cm., 6 ¾ by 8 ¾ inches

     

    Provenance

    Thomas Lloyd (b.1826) of Cowesby Hall, Northallerton, Yorkshire and thence by descent until 1990

     

    Captain John Durrant (fl.1790-1830) was a highly skilled amateur artist and army officer who was stationed at Portchester Castle between 1803 and 1813. He was also stationed at Dover, Gosport and Colchester during his career.  An ability to sketch was a prized asset in the armed forces in the days before photography and Durrant is likely to have trained in the art of topographical draughtsmanship at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich where Paul Sandby, R.A. (1730-1809) taught until 1796. An album of over hundred drawings by him is in the collection of Hampshire council.

  • A Two-Master being pulled to Shore -
    Price on request

    Pen and brown ink and watercolour on two sheets of joined paper

    20.8 by 17.3 cm., 8  x 6 ¾ inches

     

    Provenance

    Thomas Lloyd (b.1826) of Cowesby Hall, Northallerton, Yorkshire and thence by descent until 1990

  • A Boat beached by a Pier -
    Price on request

    Pen and brown ink and watercolour over traces of pencil on two sheets of joined paper

    19.9 by 17.2 cm., 7 ¾ by 6 ¾ inches

     

    Provenance

    Thomas Lloyd (b.1826) of Cowesby Hall, Northallerton, Yorkshire and thence by descent until 1990

  • The West Gate, Winchester -
    Price on request

    inscribed upper centre: Westgate Winchester

    pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    17.7 by 23cm, 7 by 9 inches

     

    This is one of the two surviving gates to Winchester of the original five. It dates from the fourteenth century and stands at the top of the High Street.
  • Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin Bay, Ireland -
    Price on request

    Signed with initials verso: Kilmainham Gaol Dublin – JD

    With a watercolour of Kilmainham Jail, Dublin verso

    Watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    174 x 228 mm., 6 ¾ x 9 in.

     

    Provenance

    Thomas Lloyd (b.1826) of Cowesby Hall, Northallerton, Yorkshire and thence by descent until 1990

     

    Dublin Lighthouse was originally known as Poolbeg as the site was originally a small pool with a deep anchorage. The peninsula was reclaimed from the sea and the lighthouse was first lit in September 1761. It was the first lighthouse to use candles rather than a beacon of coal and had a gallery round the whole building and a large octagonal lantern on top. It was rebuilt in 1820.

     

    The verso of the drawing is a view of Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin, which was built in 1796 and in use until 1924.

  • Coal Gatherers on the Banks of the Tyne at South Shields -
    Sold

    Inscribed upper centre: From South Shields and on part of old sheet: From South Shields -/The Banks of the Tyne at low water & People gathering/coals -

    Pen and grey ink and washes over traces of pencil on laid paper

    16.2 by 21.9 cm., 6 ¼ by 8 ½ inches

     

    Provenance

    Thomas Lloyd (b.1826) of Cowesby Hall, Northallerton, Yorkshire and thence by descent until 1990

     

    Captain John Durrant (fl.1790-1830) was a highly skilled amateur artist and army officer who was stationed at Portchester Castle between 1803 and 1813. He was also stationed at Dover, Gosport and Colchester during his career.  An ability to sketch was a prized asset in the armed forces in the days before photography and Durrant is likely to have trained in the art of topographical draughtsmanship at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich where Paul Sandby, R.A. (1730-1809) taught until 1796. An album of over hundred drawings by him is in the collection of Hampshire council.

  • The Church and Hospital of St Cross, Winchester -
    Sold

    inscribed upper centre: St Cross Winchester

    watercolour over pencil on laid paper

    17.6 by 22.5cm, 6 3/4 by 8 3/4 inches

     

    The Hospital of St Cross stands south of Winchester in the water meadows alongside the River Itchen. The Norman Church dates from the twelfth century and the Hospital is England?s oldest continuing almshouse.

Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading